MAKE YOUR OWN COSTUME
- NEED: A creative outlet
- WANT: The bragging rights that come with "Yeah, I made this myself"
- WANT: To enter craftsmanship contests and WIN, BABY!
- You like learning. You like making things. You have an eye for detail. You like hoarding materials and have lots of space. You like dripping hot glue on yourself. You like making original renderings of characters or value screen-accuracy. You like torturing yourself.
- Remember when we talked about entering costume contests? This is where you get to shine as a costume fabricator. Keep in mind that costume contests often require pre-registration as well as photos of your work-in-progress.
- Hell yeah! You can do any of these other things:
- Closet cosplay: Go to your closet or storage room. Find things that resemble what your character wears. Put them on. Voila, you're transformed!
- Borrow a costume: Ask your cosplay friends if you can borrow that one costume shoved away in storage collecting dust.
- Rent a costume: If you have a local costume shot this is an easier option for steampunk, royal, weird stuff like clowns and creatures and shit
- Exchange: Exchange items or exchange commission services with other cosplayers you know
These options are for everyone. Whether you're new at this or have been making your own costumes for years, you can switch it up. There are so many ways to do this cosplay thing!
So get out there, you